During apartheid era was burnt down and occupied Partially restored in 2000.
At present the site comprises of :
- The Kasturba Gandhi School: Run by the Government
- The Press Building: Partly occupied by the Tourism Department of the Durban City Council.
- Museum: The museum has a display on The seeds of Democracy depicting the many leaders of the struggle in this region and a route map. It also houses a display on Kasturba Gandhi and the women’s struggle in South Africa.
- Kasturba Bhavan: A home built by Manilal Gandhi in 1945 designed by Herman Kallenbach and made of hand made blocks. At present the building houses a Day Care Centre run by the Durban Association for the Aged.
- Savodaya Gandhiji’s home since 1904. It houses an exhibition on the transformation of Gandhiji, the various influences on his life and an exhibition on his influence on the International community.
- Creche: run privately with help from a Durban North Church group. The place is cramped and not adequate for the children. There are 4 containers donated by the church and one is being used by a sewing group.
- A Clinic occupied by the Bambayi Development organization who run a number of programmes financed by the Department of Social Development. They work with home based care givers and provide support to children in the area. They also have services from a mobile health clinic and provide meals to the community.