Speech Contest detail: Watch this space for reports of 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 contests and photographs
MAHATMA GANDHI ANNUAL SPEECH CONTEST
NOTICE TO ALL PRINCIPALS OF PRIMARY SCHOOLS IN KZN
We invite Grade 7 learners to participate in our annual speech contest. The contest is divided into a prepared speech segment and an impromptu speech. A list of prepared speech topics is provided below. Prepared Speeches will be of 4 minute duration The impromptu segment will follow on the completion of all prepared speeches. There will be 5 minute preparation time for the impromptu speech .The impromptu segment is when learners are given a list of topics at the contest and are given 2-minutes to talk on it.
Deadline for entries: Schools will have to fill an entry form and fax it to the hosting school by 30 April 2009. Only one participant per school .
Preliminary round: Schools are invited to participate at the nearest venue. The first round must be completed by the 29 May and the finals will be on Friday the 19 June. Only 10 finalists will be selected.
Participants will deliver their 4-minute speech and their 2-minute impromptu speech. Winners from this round will go into the finals. All participants will receive a certificate of participation.
Finals and Prize-giving: 10 Winners from the preliminary round will participate in the finals, which will take place at Durban University of Technology Canegrowers Hall on Friday the 19 June 2009 from 10 a.m.. The prize-giving ceremony will take place immediately after the finals. Parents friends and other educators and learners are welcome to attend the finals
Prizes: Three winning schools and students will win cash prizes and a floating trophy will be given to the 1st prize winning school. All ten finalists will get complementary prizes.
- If I had three wishes for South Africa…
- Yes we can! The power of the youth vote to retain or change the staus quo.
- Part-time community service should be a compulsory part of the secondary school curriculum
- The world has youthful leaders like Obama and Malema… What are the qualities I admire in a youth leader
- My views on the increasing violence in our schools
Judging will be on the basis of sound research, effective presentation and logical arguments.
For further information you can contact: Indhrannie Pillay at 031-3735486 [email protected] (Satyagraha office).
Attention all Schools:
We require one school in a cluster to take the responsibility of hosting the contest. The host school will be given an amount of R200 for expenses in respect of the contest
CHECKLIST TO ORGANISE SPEECH CONTEST
- IDENTIFY 10 HOST SCHOOLS
- HOST SCHOOL TO INVITE NOT MORE THAN 10-12 SCHOOLS
- CHOOSE SUITABLE TOPICS AND GIVE THEM TO THE PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS FOR THE PRELIMINARY ROUND.
- SEND CIRCULAR WITH ALL DETAILS TO PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS
- WE WILL PROVIDE CERTIFICATES
- IDENTIFY PEOPLE TO VISIT SCHOOLS TO PROMOTE THE CONTEST
The prepared speech is 40 marks and the impromptu is 10 marks. The total mark will be out of 50
- Adjudicators are requested to allocate marks out of 40 Content (20) and style (20)
- Take into account:
- Quality and depth of research
- Organisation of material in an interesting and developmental form- with effective introduction and logical conclusion
- Audibility; expression; pace, audience contact; etc
- Contestants will have only 5 minute preparation time.
- Use your general impression of the speech to allocate a mark out of 10.
- Range of insight; organisation of ideas, time management, Audibility; expression; pace, audience contact; etc
- Add impromptu mark to speech mark. Your final mark should be out of 50.
- There should be one winner only.
Certificates of participation will be awarded to all contestants. Adjudicators to assist in presentation to contestants host schools’.
HOST SCHOOL CHECKLIST
- REQUIRE TWO ROOMS: ONE LARGE VENUE FOR SPEECH CONTEST AND ANOTHER ROOM FOR SPEAKERS TO PREPARE THEIR IMPROMPTU SPEECH
- LARGE VENUE FOR 30 – 40 PEOPLE
- INVITE 10-12 SCHOOLS IN YOUR AREA
- INVITE THREE ADJUDICATORS (NOT FROM ANY PARTICIPATING SCHOOL, PREFERABLY FROM A SECONDARY SCHOOL. THEY SHOULD BE AS REPRESENTATIVE AS POSSIBLE)
- IDENTIFY TWO LEARNERS TO CHAIR AND TIME- KEEP THE CONTEST. SEE CHAIRPERSON’S ADDRESS PROVIDED
- SET UP VENUE:
- LECTERN/TABLE FOR CONTESTANTS TO DELIVER SPEECH
- TABLE AND TWO CHAIRS FOR CHAIR AND TIME-KEEPER
- TABLE AND 3 CHAIRS FOR ADJUDICATORS AT THE BACK OF THE ROOM
- CHAIRS FOR PARTICIPANTS AND THEIR EDUCATORS
- PROVIDE ADJUDICATORS WITH WRITING MATERIAL AND SCORE SHEETS. COLLECT SAME AT END OF CONTEST.
- CERTIFICATES TO BE PRESENTED TO PARTICIPANTS; ADJUDICATORS AND HOST SCHOOL
- REFRESHMENTS (OPTIONAL)